Here is a basic summary of how I utilize Joseph Campbell’s work to help structure my solo shows. Look in Campbell’s work to see in more detail how he plots these points on a wheel. This is shorthand for very complicated stuff.
- The Ordinary World = I begin with limited consciousness, I may not be that happy here, but this is home, this is what I’m used to.
- The Call to Adventure, What/Who gets me to raise consciousness, to act, to leave, to go on the journey.
- Threshold to Other World = I find myself in a new place, where all the rules have changed. I am disoriented. I find a guardian here, either helpful or a hindrance.
- Tests, Enemies / Helpers, Boons Challenges along the way
- INNERMOST CAVE = My inner fear, biggest test, peeling away. Will I make it? Vulnerability
- The Prize. The Knowledge Gained. The Consciousness Raised.
- The Return to the Ordinary World Begins. More helpers and tests.
- Threshold Back to the Ordinary World = I reenter the old terrain again. Another Guardian at the gate.
- Changing the Ordinary World with the Knowledge Gained, I bring what I’ve learned home. I am changed.